As the use of cannabis becomes more widespread, it’s important to consider the impact it can have on our furry friends. Dogs, in particular, are at risk of accidental ingestion of edibles, which can result in serious health issues or even death. In this article, we will discuss the impact of edibles on dogs, how to keep them safe, and what to do if your dog accidentally ingests an edible.
Cannabis edibles are food products that are infused with cannabis, typically in the form of THC or CBD. Edibles can take longer to take effect than smoking or vaping, and the effects can last for several hours. This can make it difficult for pet owners to determine if their dog has ingested an edible and can result in delayed treatment.
Why are edibles dangerous for dogs?
Edibles are dangerous for dogs because the THC in them can be toxic to dogs. THC affects the central nervous system and can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of coordination, and in severe cases, seizures, coma, and death.
How can I keep my dog safe?
There are several ways you can keep your dog safe from accidental ingestion of edibles:
- Keep edibles out of reach: Store edibles in a secure location that your dog can’t access, such as a high cabinet or locked container.
- Educate others: Make sure that anyone who enters your home knows about the dangers of edibles and how to keep them out of reach of your dog.
- Supervise your dog: Keep a close eye on your dog when they are outside, especially in areas where people may be consuming edibles.
- Be prepared: Keep the phone number for your veterinarian and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) handy in case of an emergency.
What should I do if my dog ingests an edible?
If you suspect that your dog has ingested an edible, it’s important to act quickly:
- Contact your veterinarian: Call your veterinarian immediately for guidance. If your veterinarian is not available, contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.
- Watch for symptoms: Monitor your dog for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of coordination, and seizures.
- Provide information: Be prepared to provide information about the type of edible ingested, the amount, and when it was ingested.
- Follow your veterinarian’s instructions: Follow your veterinarian’s instructions carefully, including any instructions for inducing vomiting or bringing your dog to the vet.
Edibles can be a dangerous temptation for dogs, but with careful planning and preparation, you can keep your furry friend safe. Remember to keep edibles out of reach, educate others about the dangers, supervise your dog, and be prepared for emergencies. If your dog does accidentally ingest an edible, act quickly and follow your veterinarian’s instructions.
- Can CBD edibles also be harmful to dogs?
- While CBD is generally considered safe for dogs, there is still a risk of accidental overdose. It’s important to keep all edibles out of reach of your dog.
- How long does it take for edibles to take effect in dogs?
- The effects of edibles can take several hours to appear in dogs, which can make it difficult to determine if they have ingested an edible.
- Can I induce vomiting if my dog ingests an edible?
- Inducing vomiting may be recommended in some cases, but it’s important to follow your veterinarian’s instructions carefully.
- What are some signs that my dog has ingested an edible?
- Symptoms of edible ingestion can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of coordination, and seizures.
- Can I give my dog THC or CBD products for medical purposes?
- It’s important to consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any THC or CBD products, as dosages and effects can vary widely between animals.
- What should I do if my dog is showing symptoms of edible ingestion?
- If your dog is showing symptoms of edible ingestion, contact your veterinarian immediately for guidance.
- How can I educate others about the dangers of edibles for dogs?
- Share this article with friends and family members who own dogs, and encourage them to take precautions to keep their furry friends safe.
- Can dogs die from ingesting edibles?
- Yes, in severe cases, ingestion of edibles can be fatal for dogs.